Wednesday, September 30, 2009

White Mothers

As someone in a very secure, long-term interracial relationship, I am on a fast track to having and raising biracial children. I am not sure, because I'm not biracial, but I worry that my children will have to deal with race in ways that white children in white families and black children in black families don't have to. They may notice differences between the races earlier and will have to deal with prejudice from both sides of the fence. I will love them and support them to the best of my ability, but I think I need to admit that there are some issues that I won't be able to help them with. Two books that deal with this topic beautifully are
Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama (the young man in the photo).
In both books, the authors are raised by single white mothers left dealing with parenthood and racial tensions. James McBride's mother takes a unique route and just denies that she is white, she's "just light skinned." Even though I think that's really funny, I hope that there is a way for interracial families to discuss race without anyone denying their racial background.

2 comments:

  1. from Pieter Hugo's series Messina-Musina

    http://www.pieterhugo.com/files/albums/selected-work/messina-musina/musina42.jpg

    Also, I read this today and it's relevant to your topic.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33089578/ns/today-parenting_and_family/

    This woman rescued and adopted a baby boy from South America. She was unable to connect and bond with the baby as she was with her four biological daughters. Her husband was also overseas in the army so she was also having difficulties with her marriage. She went through counseling and after talking to her social worker eventually decided to look for a better family for the boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So - this goes right back in a lot of ways to your question about family, especially if you think about family in a broad sense - meaning, the people we're related to (associated with? similar to? like?)
    REmember that old photographic exhibition, The Family of Man and the deep criticism it came under for its cultural colonialism and paternalistic approach to people (not to mention the male-centricity of even just the title?) There is a short little essay, just 3 pages, in Roland Barthes wonderful small book Mythologies that you might be interested in (when you have some spare time!) titled The Great Family of Man... I have it if you want to take a look at it. (I know you're swamped, but it is just a short read!)

    ReplyDelete